Sunday, August 24, 2008

Spokane to Sandpoint

Idaho Spuddy Buddies!

Last weekend was the Spokane to Sandpoint relay. We finally got a team of 12. Well...there were 12.....then 11....then 10....then 11.....then 10...... I think if came together like two days before. The weather was super hot! Upper 90s for running is not really my thing so I'm amazed that we all survived it! It took our team 29 and a half hours to complete the 185 mile course. The scenery was stunning in places. Quite enjoyable. We were able to get a house on the lake in Coeur d'Alene and it was so nice to have a place to relax for a few hours during the race....not that I was able to sleep any. I think I was a little more sleep deprived for this race than for RenoTaho. I was in van 2 for this race and it seems that van 2 never gets as much sleep. We tried to nab a few hours on an elementary school gym floor but that SO didn't work. There was probably a hundred people spread out over the floor, 15 people snoring, and cell phone and watch beepers going off like crazy! It was nice to get some sleep Saturday night after it was all over.

Between legs 24 and 25, our team got to ride the tremors rollercoaster at Silverwood as part of the course at about 1:00 in the morning. It was fast and freaky. It's a woody so it felt like we were going to fly off the tracks at any moment. CRAZY! (if any of you have ever been on it you'd probably have to agree!) THE coolest wood rollercoaster I have EVER been on! Hopefully I'll get to go again sometime:)

This is the last relay for us this summer. OK we only did two...but it is quite a big deal to coordinate 12 people. They are definitely an adventure and a great way to see new country for sure!



Check out some of the pics from the race here!

or go to
http://www.flickr.com/pixbyleslie


After the relay we headed over to Moses Lake for some fun family time. My Grandpa J lives there and it was really great to see him and aunts, uncles, and cousins! My gramps is the funniest 91 year old EVER! I love that guy...even if he can't remember my name Ha ha! (all he needs to know is Sally...right dear cousins and sisters??)



L: Grandpa and Parker (Mel's little boy)...he LOVED him! R: A whole bunch of Sallys!!



We are headed to a family reunion next weekend and I'm excited to see all my sisters and fam again! I wish Rory was going to be there. I can't believe that he only has 2 months left in Canada! I'm sooo excited to see him!








6 comments:

Brenny said...

What a race. I've always wanted to do one of those -- too bad you are a little far away. It would be a fun trip to come visit, so keep us updated for next summer.

Mel's little boy is so sweet! I can't believe Rory is almost back from his mission. Isn't he like 14 years old? No? Huh.

Carolyn said...

Hahaha. Funny Sally story. I called Grandpa a week or so before I went home just to chat. He asked who it was and I said Sally. He then tells me that Bob wants to talk to me. Bob and I talk and then Bob tells me the real reason he was handed the phone...Grandpa didn't know who I was and was embarassed he didn't know which Sally I was. Then I felt bad. It was so great to see you guys! And, sorry for not calling...next time. I promise!! Maybe we will just make a trip to get away from Utah.

Anna Beal said...

Hey you two! Funny to find you on here. We saw you at the Mall, and here you are on Blogger! You guys look good. I hope all is well.
alexannabeal.blogspot.com

Heather said...

That race looked crazy fun! Your team did an awesome job.

It's so cool to see a picture of you with your sisters. I can't believe how old Caitlyn looks. It made me think of counter parties and girl weekends. . . . ahh, great times.

Brittany said...

Oh I'm so sad I missed you guys! I think we left just a couple of days before you all got there. Every time Grandpa sees me he asks who I am and I just say "Sally." And every time I talk to him on the phone he thinks I'm Meg! He's sure a funny guy.

Tammie said...

Well that race looked like a lot of fun! Neil and I want to do an adventure race sometime. Managing a team though, wow, it's always a lot of work!